Groovy « Electric » Interview : Janelle Monáe. (English version)
Quelques heures avant concert à l’Alhambra le 16 septembre dernier, Janelle Monáe, reine de la soul-funk futuriste nous a accordé quelques minutes pour nous présenter son nouveau album déjà incontournable : «The Electric Lady». Découvrez (enfin) son interview ci-dessous.
1) You have Many collaborations in this album, why did you decide to release «Q.u.e.e.n» (feat Erykah Badu) as a first single ?
Well, I though it was the right time to release this song. «Q.U.E.E.N» is a really powerful song, Erykah and I wanted to create an anthem, something for the marginalized, you can jam and dance on it. It reflects the mind I was at this moment. I just felt it as a first single.
2) In your album, you have a collaboration with Prince, how was the meeting with him ?
It was amazing ! I am proud and thankful to have his support. I really appreciate him and his music. I also got many collaborations in this album like with Esperanza Spalding, Solange and Miguel…who also inspire me a lot !
3) What is the meaning of your cover album, with all these women ?
It is a hommage to William Klein artwork. The painting is called « Cindi and Her Sisters and the Skull of Night Thrashings », it is Cindi Mayweather and her five sisters. (ndlr: Cindi Mayweather est lalter-ego androide de Janelle Monae).
4) What is the Electric Lady ?
The Electry Lady is the new woman of the 21st century. It is a woman who doesn’t want to be categorized or stereotyped. In this album I am wondering about what she thinks about love, about politics, about religion, sexuality…etc.
5) As a woman, what do you think about the place of African american women today ?
The perception of African-american women today is really important, they have a unique story. Black women are powerful and inspire many people today and not only the black community, like Michelle Obama, the Williams Sisters, Queen Latifah….they mean a lot to EVERY women.
6) Some media say that you «bring the feeling of the Motown to the 21st century», how do you feel about it ?
Im glad. Thank you ! I am inspired by the community and people who understand my position. These artists bring a lot to us, I want to follow their footsteps, and push it further.
8) What advice can you give to young artists who want to suceed in the industry ?
I think that you should surround yourself with people who will empower you. You have to embrace the things that make you unique and stay focused on what you believe.
Merci pour ces mots Janelle !